A Truly Wired Experiment - Day 1

So, today I decided to endeavor on a little journey. I am going to spend the next week without Facebook or YouTube. I know, its been done before and for greater lengths of time and extent but I want to experience for myself if I really feel like I'm coming off an addiction.

What inspired my decision? Today, one of my professors was talking about how Facebook is a disembodiment of our souls. It really got me thinking. We put our souls on the computer to say to everyone, "Hey, this is me. Pay attention." It has become a part of our identity, and people perceive us through our actions, not only in real life, but on the Internet as well. I decided to add YouTube in it as well because I spend a lot of time on it.

The results of this experiment are yet to be seen. Maybe I'll have so much time, I'll get a lot more studying done...or I might study just because people are (hopefully) reading this. Or maybe, I'll just fill up the extra time with more useless procrastinating activities, such as watching TV ( oh, how I love The Office) or walking back and forth to fridge to check if there is any food that can magically give me the energy to start studying. Or perhaps, the time I gain by not using Facebook and YouTube will be spent on this very blog talking about the experiment.

During this next week, I'm going to see if I lose a part of my identity, if Facebook really is crucial and I will be recording how many hours of studying I do every day. For comparison, I would say I do 3 hours a day regularly. I know its horrible, but I really am trying to change.

So here's to discovering one's true self and if we really are that wired to the Internet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment